Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Is there a way I can still get my master's degree in accounting or finance with an undergraduat

I have two bachelor%26#039;s degrees in accounting and finance---I was 18 when I started working full time as a mortgage loan consultant assistant @ a major brokerage and mortgage bank in Los Angeles and went to night school. The finance and accounting classes were very tough regardless of the fact that I went to California State University, Los Angeles (which is not a high name school in California YET I know that they are a good school because they pay attention to undergraduate students not like UCLA)---anyway I want to get a master%26#039;s degree but I fear not getting accepted at any school because of my GPA. Am I doomed to never being accepted to graduate school because of my low GPA?



I%26#039;m 24 now and have had many years of work experience, took additional humanities courses such as ethics, modern philosophers, more advanced calculus (got a C though), and additional computer classes to help me create for myself marketing materials for what will become my own mortgage brokerage.



Is there a way I can still get my master%26#039;s degree in accounting or finance with an undergraduate GPA of 2.9?

Ditch the defensiveness about your school. IMHO, quit saying that CSU--LA gave attention to undergrads when you have a 2.9. That makes it sound like you were so dumb that even with special help you couldn%26#039;t get a 3.0. That%26#039;s harsh, but that%26#039;s what people will think if you go on telling your story the way you did above.



You%26#039;re an object lesson for why it doesn%26#039;t always pay to work fulltime and go to school part-time. (It%26#039;s school that always suffers.) Just remember to tell that part when you brag about getting two degrees in 6 years while working full time--and you should brag about that. Lots of folks who started at 18 still don%26#039;t have ONE degree.



Grad schools, even law schools, might take you as you are because you%26#039;re sort of an nontraditional student (a prize in some programs) but you%26#039;re young and somewhat proven (a nice combo). To bolster your position, study for and take the GRE and the LSAT (No, not at the same time). Good scores will bolster your argument that you are incredibly smart but just couldn%26#039;t make a day any longer than 24 hours.



Law school won%26#039;t allow for full-time work. Are you prepared to give up benefits and live on your savings and whatever loans you can get? Graduate school is, or should be lots harder, than undergrad and having a less than 3.0 average will put you on probation and eventually out. You%26#039;ll have to work less %26quot;at work%26quot; and more at school to finish. You might even need to quit work and go full-time.

No comments:

Post a Comment