Saturday, October 31, 2009

Paying off a Student Loan?

I am graduating shortly and I am wondering about the process of paying off a 80k loan. I would assume I am getting a decent job after graduation and will be able to afford to pay between 500-1000 a month towards it without getting into fianancial trouble. I am a bit knowledgable about finances and whatnot so feel free to give me more advanced recommendations.



Here are my main issues:



1. Should I pay off 80k quickly or slowly? I don%26#039;t want the interest to accumulate to 150k over 20-30 years.



2. Should I consolidate my loans during the grace period into a low interest one or should I hold off since once I consolidate my rate will be locked down.



3. If I get a signing bonus of hypothetically 10k... should I invest it or pay off the student loan? The investments might have higher interest than the loan making it more worthwhile to save instead of pay?



Any other recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!



Paying off a Student Loan?

Once you can afford to make payments, consolidate your student loans to lock into a low inetrest rate. As it is now, your interest rate is probnably variable and will only go up. When you consolidate, pick a monthly payment amount you%26#039;re comfortable with...maybe not as high as you anticipate you can afford. That way if you have a tight month you can make the lower payment.



If you get a sign on bonus, investigate what interest rates are out there for you as far as investing it. You may want to think about talking to a certified financial planner about what would be the best way to go with the money.



Paying off a Student Loan?

Go to job %26amp; then pay



Paying off a Student Loan?

pay it off as quickly as u can and overpay. student loans are a rip off and the interest will accumulate and go up and u don%26#039;t know what ur life will bring u. get it out of the way, the worse thing that could ever happen to u credit wise is to default on a student loan. i%26#039;ve known too many people that have had this happened. they had great jobs too. they were told to pay off higher interest cards first, but if u mess those up, they won%26#039;t haunt u like a student loan. i would stay clear of any other debt until that loan was paid off.



Paying off a Student Loan?

I would consolidate my loans and pay as FAST as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment