Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Which universities in america are afforadable for an international transfer student?

I am an international student from Kenya Africa and right now I am at a community college in dayton, Oh. The thing is I have to transfer to a four year college to get my degree in industrial engineering. However, I am frustrated at the cost of pursuing a degree for international student the best I can get is 5000 dollars. As an international student I cant work, get financial aid so my source of money is limited. Honestly I cant afford 5000 a quarter but I have to go to school. Please if there is anybody who can give me advise on what to do I can appreciate it. This is what I need



1. some affordable schools that have an engineering program



2. Means of financing like scholarships



3. is there a way I can change my residency so that I can get resident tuition.



4. A way I can get to some sponsors like churches to help me



Please anyone with information please help me I need it



Which universities in america are afforadable for an international transfer student?

1) To be quite honest $5000 per semester for an international at a four-year institute is very reasonable and you won%26#039;t find many, if any universities which will offer a much lower cost for tuition but you can keep searching if you wish.



2 %26amp; 4) Talk to the international student advisor at your college or the university you are wishing to transfer to about any available funding or scholarships. You will probably find that there will be limited, if any funding available for international students who are pursing their first degree in the United States, also ask if there are any organizations which would be willing to sponsor you. The international student advisor is your best source of information.



Did you know that you can actually, legally work while you are an international student on an F1 visa? You are permitted to work 20 hours per week during semester and 40 hours per week during the holidays, of course you are limited to on-campus employment only but this is also another way to earn a bit of money to finance your education.



You could also see if you can take out student or personal loans from the bank, ask around and see what they say. The worst that can happen is that they say no.



3) No - you will always pay out-of-state tuition fees.



Which universities in america are afforadable for an international transfer student?

Please go see a counselor at your community college. They can help you research this. Your school may also have a transfer office, and it%26#039;s their job to help students figure out where to go. Your international student advisor may also be a good source of information. The counselors and ISAs also may know of scholarships that even F-1 students are eligible for.



I know it is rough; just keep in mind that the resident students are paying the same amount, but through taxes plus tuition rather than just through tuition. School is, unfortunately, expensive in the US once you finish high school.



You cannot change residency as long as you%26#039;re F-1. By definition, you%26#039;re international.



Sponsors need to come from you, not from strangers. That is, start asking your contacts what they know. You might be surprised at the help you can get if you%26#039;re just open with those around you.



I know it it terrifically frustrating. So many of my students find themselves in similar situations. Good luck.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the great content. It is nice to go through the process at a high level.
    change my postal address

    ReplyDelete